Friday, August 17, 2012

Light Goat Cheese and Mushroom Frittata

I really enjoy starting my day with eggs. My usually egg dish consists of 2 eggs over medium and a slice of toast with mashed avocado on top. Always delicious and never fails, but I wanted to change things up a bit this morning. Since I'm trying to lose my excess baby weight, I opted to use egg whites and a couple whole eggs, rather than all whole eggs. This helps keep the frittata figure friendly and still gives the frittata substance. Don't get me wrong, I could eat an all egg white frittata, but since I'm nursing I need to be getting adequate amounts of fat - which in this case comes from the yolks of the organic cage free eggs. Yolks are not bad! They contain the majority of the vitamins, minerals and much needed fats - especially if you purchase quality eggs. What the chicken eats and how it is raised can effect the nutritional quality of the egg. So not only is it more humane to purchase cage free eggs, but it is a bigger nutritional punch too! I like to make sure whatever I eat is benefiting my body in some way, and having a yolk or 2 is a great way to make sure I'm getting my Omega fats in early in the morning. 

This recipe was made to feed my husband and I, but you could easily double it to feed your family. If you don't like goat cheese, then use a cheese you enjoy or omit it completely for a dairy-free version. I personally love warmed goat cheese on anything (even a leather shoe). I make this a super quick breakfast by having some pre-chopped onions and mushrooms on hand, so all I have to do is sprinkle into the pan and cook. All I did was reserve some of the diced onion and mushroom left from the previous nights' meal. Makes for a fuss-free breakfast, not having to chop anything.  


Light Goat Cheese and Mushroom Frittata

Cook Time: <10 minutes
Prep Time: <5 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

  • olive oil spray
  • 1/4 of a large onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp of dried Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
  • 1oz herb goat cheese
  • 3 organic cage free egg whites, scrambled
  • 2 organic cage free whole eggs, scrambled
Heat a medium-sized oven safe skillet over medium heat. Spray with a little olive oil spray and begin cooking the onions.

Saute for about 3 minutes, then add the sat, pepper, Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms have cooked down a bit.


While that is cooking, in a small bowl beat the egg whites and whole eggs together (if you'd like, add a bit of salt and pepper as well) until slightly frothy. 


Add the goat cheese and the beaten eggs to the pan. Swirl the pan a bit to make sure it is completely coated with the egg mixture. Allow it to cook for about a minute on the stove and then transfer the pan to the oven. Broil on low for about 2-4 minutes. It should be slightly golden on top and should be firm throughout.


Cut into wedges and serve hot. 

Nutritional Info per Serving:
Calories: 145 ; Fat: 8g ; Carbohydrate: 3.5g ; Fiber: 1g ; Sugar: 1g ; Protein: 15.5g

11 comments:

  1. We ate the same breakfast!! Mashed avocado on toast + egg - almost always my go-to!!! Must be some sort of sign, meaning I need to make this mushroom frittata too...

    Thanks Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super breakfast idea! My younger daughter would love this, especially since she'd got a thing for goat's cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The goat cheese is the star in this dish, she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so easy to put together and it would be awesome to start off my day with this :)
    This beats boring old cereal any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Oddly, I usually eat cereal in evenings. It helps me go to sleep

      Delete
  5. Mmmm I'm with Cakewhiz, this so beats cereal! Yum :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the flavors here... beautiful frittata! :) Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Laurie,
    Your blog has been conferred the coveted Loyfly Best Blog Award. You are invited to grab your badge .

    Thanks , Have a nice day . Happy blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's an honor, I appreciate your support!

      Delete
    2. You are welcome . We read your recipes , and they are really commendable . If you can contribute some unique recipes to loyfly we could setup an author account for you . Please tell us if you are interested .
      Thanks .

      Delete