Sunday, July 1, 2012

Roasted Garlic and Cilantro Rice


Rice is a staple grain in my house growing up. I ate rice at most meals, but it was usually plain long-grain white rice. Since eating rice so often can be boring, why not change things up a bit? Trying different varieties of rice is a great way to start. In this recipe, I chose to use jasmine rice, since it is so aromatic and went well with the main dish being served. I threw in a few cloves of roasted garlic and tossed with fresh cilantro at the end. Turned out wonderfully. Very fragrant, flavorful and not boring be any means! 

I mashed up the garlic cloves to almost a paste and throughout the cooking process, they melted like butter into the rice. There were speckles of garlic, but not huge bites - which I like. If you don't have jasmine rice on hand, any rice will do. The basic flavors will work well with any rice, just make sure to adjust the cooking time, depending on the type of rice. This recipe doubles easily, in case you want to make extra. I like to make double batches on occassion so I can use the leftover rice for lunches, rice patties or fried rice. If you will be using the remaining rice as leftovers - make sure to add about a tbsp or 2 of water to the rice when reheat to prevent it from being too dry.


Roasted Garlic and Cilantro Rice

Cook Time: < 15 minutes
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 4 (1/2 cup) servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked and rinsed well
  • 2 cups organic low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 5 cloves of roasted garlic, smashed (to paste like consistency) 
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly grated black peppercorns
  • 2 tbsps fresh cilantro, minced

Using a rice cooker:
add the rice, stock, garlic, oil and salt & pepper. Stir everything well. Turn on and allow to cook all the way through.

Cooking on the stove:
Heat a medium/large pot over high heat. Add the rice, stock, garlic, oil and salt & pepper. Stir everything well.

Allow it to come to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Let the rice cook for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.

With a fork, fluff the rice well and gradually add the cilantro as you are fluffing. 

Serve the rice piping hot :)  



Nutritional Info per 1/2 cup cooked serving
:
Calories: 190 ; Fat: 1.5g ; Carbohydrates: 38g ; Fiber: 1g ; Sugar: 1g ; Protein: 4g


13 comments:

  1. Your rice gives me incentive to stop eating normal rice my friend, this looks gorgeous!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be really interesting flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get a rice cooker. This looks a really nice side dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my rice cooker like crazy! It's one of the most used kitchen appliances I have. I got a cuisinart rice cooker and it has lasted me 4 years and counting. Def. worth the money :)

      Delete
  4. I just love garlic rice! i could eat this by the bowl. A rice cooked would be a good edition to my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea! I bet it taste amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I stumbled to your blog. I'm trying to lose weight and think that your recipes can help me stay healthy and motivated! :)

    I will definitely be following, can't wait to see what else you come up with! Would love for you to check out my blog (not the healthiest, but you can splurge every once and awhile!) New blog friends make me happy!

    http://sugarlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I checked out your site and I'm in love with your twice baked potatoes and choco chip truffles - OMG! This may be the death of me, but it is going to be a sweet death :)

      Delete
  7. So simple and so wonderful!http://abpetite.blogspot.com/2012/07/chicken-enchiladas.html Check out your new award I nominated you for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I love garlic or sauteed onions in rice and I love jasmine rice. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flavors, I could easily just eat a bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete