Monday, July 23, 2012

Baked Italian Zucchini Boats

I wanted to thank all of the guest bloggers from the past week for the awesome posts!! If you missed any of them - check my archive section from Week 7/15-7/22. Different recipes and topics such as Date Balls, Open Faced Baked Stuffed Peppers, Tips for Staying Motivated and Chardonnay Steamed Mussels. I'm starting to settle back in at home with the new babe and enjoying being a new parent. I definitely underestimated how time consuming a newborn can be! I've been eating up all of my freezer meals (that I prepped beforehand) and meals made by family members the past 2 weeks. I'm glad to start cooking again, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have to writing up the posts, taking pictures, etc. I'll try to post something new every couple days and hopefully over time get back to posting daily. Ok enough talk.... on to the recipe...




I got a bunch of great looking zucchinis at the farmers market and was looking to make a simple side to go with the main dish I had made. Since I had some ricotta and some jarred pasta sauce in the fridge just hanging out, I decided to put them to use. I wasn't sure whether to cut up the zucchini into slices and toss it with the tomato sauce and ricotta or make a stuffing out of it. It looks much prettier as a zucchini boat :) . Super simple to make and took practically no time to prep. I could totally eat these as a first course or as a side to any meal - they are just so tasty!!


I used Newman's Own Organic Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce as the sauce (my favorite go-to sauce). Any pasta sauce you enjoy will work in this dish. I chose to not cook the zucchini too much, because I like my veggies to have a bite to them. Baking the boat helps dry them out some - since zucchini can be quite wet. By omitting the bread crumbs this dish is gluten-free and low carb. Happy eating!



Baked Italian Zucchini Boats

Cook Time: 25 minutes @ 400F
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 2


Ingredients:
  • 1 large zucchini, split in half horizontally (2 pieces)
  • 2 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese, divided
  • 2 tbsp jarred organic pasta sauce, divided
  • 1 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano, divided
  • fresh parsley, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste


Preheat the oven to 400F and get a cookie sheet out to place the boats on.


Take the zucchini halves and scoop out the center some with a spoon. Just enough to make a "boat".



Spread 1 tbsp of ricotta and 1 tbsp of tomato sauce on each half.



Sprinkle the parsley, 1/2 tbsp of breadcrumbs and Parm on top of the tomato sauce.



Salt and pepper to taste and lightly spray with a little oil over the breadcrumb topping.


Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, or until the zucchini is slightly soft. Serve warmed



Nutritional Info per serving:
Calories: 100 ; Fat: 3g ; Carbohydrate: 12.5g ; Fiber: 2.5 ; Sugar: 4g ; Protein: 5.5g 

7 comments:

  1. Yum! And welcome back! Glad you are enjoying your baby time, it's the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is perfect. I've got an opened ricotta and sauce in the fridge from the weekend that needs to get used up quickly. There's zucchini galore growing in the garden and now I know what we're having for dinner on this meatless Monday. (Husband's in a golf tournament, so this will be perfect)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh new babies are awesome, hope your enjoying every second! Love the recipe too, super mum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Your guest speakers did a great job :) congrats on the baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back!!! The boats look delicious!

    ReplyDelete