Monday, June 18, 2012

Spicy Thai Beef Red Curry

Almost every time my husband and I go out for Thai food, I order curry. I can't get enough of it! So I decided to try to make it at home. This is my 2nd attempt at making it (the first time around it was too mild and a bit watery). This time it came out perfectly - savory, spicy, and balanced. It was so easy to make, you just have to stock your pantry with the right ingredients. I am going to continue to experiment with cooking thai curries - this is going to be awesome!!


Most Thai Curries are made with full fat coconut milk (which is absolutely delicious), but I like to reduce the amount of fat I eat when cooking at home. I substituted the regular coconut milk for the light coconut milk. It makes the sauce a bit thinner but you'll hardly notice the difference. I also didn't use much oil in the process, making it lighter. 




 Spicy Thai Beef Red Curry


Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: < 10 minutes
Serves: 4-6 


Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1 organic carrot, peeled and diced
  • 1 organic bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
  • 1/2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
  • 1/2 lb of grass-fed sirloin, thinly sliced
  • 1 can of bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed well
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 cans of organic light coconut milk
  • 3-4 tbsp of red curry paste (depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
  • 2 1/2 tbsp fish oil
  • fresh cilantro (optional), minced

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.


Add the onion, carrot and pepper. Saute for about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and saute for 3 more minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a plate, and set aside.




In the same pot, add the sirloin strips (season with a little salt and pepper). Cook for about 4 minutes, or until all pieces are cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside. 




Now add the rest of the ingredients (except the cilantro) and stir well. Make sure to break up the red curry paste well. Allow the coconut milk to come almost to a boil. Add the veggies and the meat back into the pot. 




Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. 


Serve the beef curry over fresh jasmine rice. Garnish with a little cilantro.

Recipe adapted from Thai Kitchen

4 comments:

  1. This looks great! I love the way you experiment with ethnic ingredients and your spin on healthy altenatives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I love food - but want to feed my body what it needs and not just what my taste buds want. A nice compromise is making things healthier and tasty! I really enjoyed this curry... and I'm surprised how easy it was.

      Delete
  2. I love Thai, and this recipe is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too... I tried it for the first time when I moved to Miami and have been hooked ever since.

      Delete